Home : Town Board > Town Board Minutes

Selected Town Board Minutes
Town of Oregon
May 02, 2006

Town of Oregon
Board Meeting Minutes
May 2, 2006

      The regular monthly meeting for the Town Board of the Town of Oregon was held on Tuesday May 2, 2006. Chairperson Gerald Jensen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. with Supervisors Darryl Weber, Pen Beasley, Phil VanKampen, Wayne Ace and Clerk Denise Arnold present.

      Chairman Jerry Jensen welcomed Doug Pettit, Chief of Police for the Village of Oregon to the meeting and requested he address the board first to accommodate his schedule. Chief Pettit shared that there were 90 traffic citations issued in 2005 in the Town of Oregon. Out of those 90 citations 68 of those citations were issued for speeding. There were 126 calls for police service and 76 traffic warning citations issued. This was approximately 3% less than 2004. Resident Barry Holmes of 1361 Pinon Trail in Oregon asked Chief Pettit if having officers parked for the purpose of catching traffic violations was an effective way to spend their limited amount of time in the Town of Oregon. Maybe a change in priorities was in order; possibly spending more time simply driving around making their presence known. Mr. Holmes had received two citations for failure to stop at a stop sign. After researching with the UW Civil Engineers Mr. Holmes said that this information discovered that there were three accidents out of a total of 82 incidents that involved a failure to stop at a stop sign violation. Chief Pettit explained that the Village has a contract with the Town to provide twenty hours of traffic enforcement only, to provide safer road in the Town. If the Town officials would like to extend those hours the village would accommodate. Chair Jensen shared that the time limit was established years ago with the residents. To change this contract it would need to be presented at budget time.

     Dane County Captain of Support Services Ron Boylan agreed that the Town has a sound agreement with the Village and it provides a positive presence. Captain Boylan said he was disappointed that the vandalism in the Town Park was not pursued further by the prosecuting district attorney. Park Chairperson Steve Root inquired if it would be advantageous to offer a reward for capture and conviction of the guilty persons. Captain Boylan encouraged any unified stance with the law officials would be beneficial.

     MMS/Weber-Ace to approve petition number 9522 on parcel number 0509-084-9500-9 owned by Fred and Mary Clark to rezone a 2.76 acre parcel to RH-1 for the purpose of building a new home for Fred Clark, Jr. with the following conditions.

1. Driveway easement-with appropriate bump-outs
2. Park Fee of $600.00
3. Fencing agreement

Motion carried.

     MMS/VanKampen-Weber to dispense with the reading of the treasurers report and approve the report as provided. Motion carried

      MMS/Weber-VanKampen to dispense with the reading of the minutes from the April 5, 2006 Town of Oregon Board Meeting and approve as provided. Motion carried.

      Chair Jensen inquired if there were any informal public comments? Fred Clark informed the board that he had been talking to Alliant about the potential location of the Sub-Station on his property. An easement would be required to go across the property.

      Resident Mark Brylski of 972 Wesley in the Town of Oregon informed the Board that a 25 MPH speed limit sign had been removed for the purpose of road construction. It was located at the beginning of Hillcrest and Windridge and has never been replaced. The clerk will inform the patrolmen and follow up on that.

      Resident Steve Root located at 993 Tipperary inquired as to why a 45 MPH speed limit sign was never posted on Tipperary Road that was passed by the board a few years ago. The clerk will research the board minutes and report back.

      Supervisors Pen Beasley and Phil VanKampen have prepared a letter for Alliant/ATC. Due to technical complications the letter was unavailable at the time of the board meeting. Resident Jeff Jones requested a copy when it is available. He also shared three copies of the letter he submitted.

      Resident Walt Seaborg of 1517 Forest Glen Road was unable to attend the meeting; he submitted a letter to the board about an issue on Fish Hatchery Road. He requested a light be placed in the on the west side of the intersection to aid in locating the Fish Hatchery/Netherwood intersection. Supervisor VanKampen agreed that the intersection is difficult to locate at night. A traffic study would be necessary, and the County would be responsible for installation and maintenance. It was suggested that some reflective tape or a sign for an intersection marking Netherwood would be helpful. Supervisor VanKampen is going to follow up on this matter.

      Resident Steve Root inquired if anything could be done about a farmer that has excessive silo bag pieces that are blowing around. Constable Gary Wackett is assigned to compose a letter to the individual requiring cleanup of the area referencing the Town pollution/trash Ordinance.

      The board requested that the clerk arrange a meeting before the next board meeting with Mike Couillard, Mike Grota and Town Assessor Andy Blomstrom. Mike Couillard drafted a postcard message, Supervisor VanKampen revised the text. The clerk will ask Andy if he approves then proceed with the mailing.

      The recycling grant is requiring that the Town of Oregon Recycling center has a compliance assurance plan. MMS/VanKampen-Weber to approve the Town Constable Gary Wackett as the citation officer and the Compliance Assurance Plan with the appropriate ordinance codes added. Motion carried.

      Supervisor Weber reported that the Comprehensive plan is progressing.. At the next meeting Jeff Hammes, (Soil Scientist) will be presenting information regarding ground water. The Plan Commission would like to have site viewings of rezone submittals. The date, location and time would need to be posted for the public. The Town Attorney Larry Bechler suggested we make arrangements for any handicapped individual that would request to attend.

      Supervisor VanKampen did not have any new developments to report on regarding the Oregon Fire and EMS District.

      Steve Root reported that the playground equipment that has been vandalized has been ordered and will be installed by the company. The work session held was very successful. The Park Committee would like to offer a $500.00 reward for the arrest and conviction of the park vandalism done, and contact the Observer to cover the issue.

      MMS/Ace-Weber to offer a reward of $500.00. Motion Carried. The replacement cost is approximately $8,879. Cub Scout Pack #352 out of Brooklyn would like to conduct a soap box derby in September 2006 at the Town Park. This would require closing the road for the day. MMS/Weber-Beasley to allow the Scouts to use the Town Park for the soap box derby event. Motion carried. There will be another park work day on May 13th in the Town Park to dig holes, cement and attach picnic tables, bench, etc.

      Supervisor VanKampen is going to contact the village regarding a cable payment back to the village a check in the amount of $ 15, 074.46 has been received.

      Chair Jensen reported about the Dane County action, the Rob Nickells and Rachel Schlamp rezone has some issues regarding the number of potential land splits available.

      Supervisor VanKampen reported that the Towns/Village Metro Bus Study Committee was pleased with the large response to the study. Madison Metro is tabulating the results and the committee is waiting for that data.

      The clerk had a request from TORC employee Ken West to display the United States Flag with a spotlight. The flag must be illuminated to display during the night hours. There is no electricity near there so it was suggested that a solar light be installed. Supervisors Beasley and VanKampen did not want additional light polluting the atmosphere. The board agreed that daylight flying of the flag would be sufficient.

      The board reorganization did not change any positions. Supervisor Beasley will cover the Cable Committee, Park Committee, Emergency Management and the office staff. Supervisor VanKampen will attend and cover the Fire/EMS District Meetings and the Village Metro Bus Study Committee. Darryl Weber will continue to chair the Plan Commission Meeting and Plan Work Sessions. Weber will also manage equipment. Wayne Ace requested to be added as an alternate on the Park Committee meetings, handle driveway permits, and the Patrolmen. He will meet with the Patrolmen weekly and report to the board monthly. Chairman Jensen reports on Dane County action and the Towns Association.

      MMS/VanKampen-Beasley to adjourn at 9:30 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,
Denise R. Arnold

Denise R. Arnold
Town of Oregon, Clerk
1138 Union Road
Oregon, WI 53575
Phone 608-835-3200 Fax 608-835-2235

Archive View all from: 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004