TOWN OF OREGON JOINT PARK COMMITTEE AND TOWN BOARD MEETING
MINUTES SUBJECT TO APPROVAL
Thursday, August 4, 2016 @ 6:30 pm
Present: Park Chairman Steve Root, Robert Johnson, Josh Nordstrom Jeff Nelson, Board Chairman Wayne Ace, Supervisors Fred Clark, Phil Van Kampen, Tom Wiedenbeck and Clerk, Denise Arnold.
Absent: Park Committee Member Al Miller and Town Board Supervisor Arlen Christensen.
Also Present: Potential Eagle Scout, Justin Hineline.
Town Board Chairman Wayne Ace called the Joint Park Committee and Town Board Meeting to order at 6:30 pm. Clerk Arnold called roll for the Town Board portion of the meeting. Clark, Van Kampen, Ace and Wiedenbeck all present. Christensen absent.
Motion made by Van Kampen and seconded by Clark to approve the SafeBuilt Professional Services Agreement from August 1, 2016 through July 31, 2017. Motion carried.
Chairman Steve Root called the Park Committee Meeting to order at 6:35 pm. Motion made by Johnson and seconded by Nelson to approve the meeting minutes from June 6, 2016 with the following correction on the adjournment, the motion was made by Johnson and seconded by Miller. Motion carried.
Park Chair Root inquired if there were any public comments, there being none the next item on the agenda was addressed.
Justin Hineline presented an Eagle Scout proposal to perform a prairie burn and restoration at the Bicentennial Park. Hineline shared that this is needed because the prairie is overgrown to a degree that is unsafe and unhealthy. Information has been gathered from several Rotarians and backup will be provided by the Oregon Fire Department. Action will be focused on the poison ivy and sumac during this process. Motion from the Park Committee by Johnson and seconded by Nordstrum to approve up to $200 for the proposed prairie burn Eagle Scout project by Justin Hineline. Motion carried. Motion made by Van Kampen and seconded by Wiedenbeck of the Town Board to approve the proposed Bi-Centennial Park Eagle Scout project by Justin Hineline with an expense of up to $200. Motion carried.
The Town Board and Park Committee reviewed and discussed the two bids received for the bike trail to be completed at the Town Park location. Payne and Dolan has agreed to donate gravel from the pit for this project. Park Chair Root requested that the Town Board make the final decision. Ace suggested that the contractor do the prep work to provide a more favorable base. The funding for the project will be provided with Town Park money. Root prefers the job be done before acceptable black top time has passed. Arbor Systems will take care of the small branch cutting. Motion made by Van Kampen and seconded by Clark to approve acceptance of the Bartelt Asphalt Paving Contractors proposal for the new asphalt walking path from the existing path to Sheil Drive (approximately 4,050 sq. ft.) in the amount of $12,841.86. Work will be completed by the contractor and be paid for with park funds. Motion carried.
Motion made by Park Committee Member Johnson and seconded by Nelson to approve two pet waste stations for the Town Park. Motion carried. Motion made by Town Board Supervisor Van Kampen and seconded by Clark to approve the purchase of two pet waste stations at $215 each for a total of $430. The Clerk was instructed to order them and use Park funds for payment. Motion carried.
Special Joint Town Board and Park Committee Meeting
August 4, 2016 Page 2
Park Chair Root would like to have the bike rack that was removed from the Town Park to be reinstalled at the Town Park. It had been vandalized and should be secured at a new location.
Root shared an email from resident Dave Frankson regarding requests at Town Parks that he would like to be addressed and followed up on. Root distributed a project time line.
· The paved bike trail should be completed in August.
· The Eagle Scout constructed gazebo located at the Town Hall will be stained by high school students starting on August 9th. A solid colored stain will be brushed on.
· Root will take care of updating the Eagle Project Sign. This should be completed in September.
· The dog waste stations will be received and installed in September.
· Replacement of “Town Eagle Project” sign due to fading will be handled by Johnson and should be completed in September.
· Continuation of spreading woodchips and stump chipping within the Town Park will be taken care of by the Public Works Employees, Abel Schultz and Ryan Zurfluh in August/September.
· Town Park Pedestrian Entrance – Bids will be needed after the hard surface path is finished. This should be decided at the September Town Board Meeting.
· Neighborhood signage directing residents to the Park after the pedestrian entrance is completed should be installed. This will be done in the future after the landscaping has been finished.
· Tree trimming in all parks about and around paths. The Park Committee will obtain bids in September/October for trimming to be completed after November 15th.
· Township Official Designation of the bike path and installation of bike route signage. This will have to wait until Dane County is ready to do theirs as it needs to be coordinated with Dane County, putting in place their bike path through Anderson Park which is slated for next spring. The signs should match.
· Path extensions within the Town Park grassy area to the north will be a project for next spring.
· Placement of fiber-mats around all playground equipment in designated parks that have equipment. This should be distributed by volunteers this fall or early next spring.
· Removal of invasive species with the Town of Oregon Park System. This is an ongoing project and will be done early next spring.
· Normal maintenance to continue year around – mowing, brush cutting, trail improvements, trash pickups, monitoring park system.
· Root has assigned Park System Liaisons to oversee different areas they are as follows…..
o Kennedy Park – Al Miller
o Hillcrest Park (Della Rd) neighborhood park – Josh Nordstrom
o Town Park – Jeff Nelson
o Bicentennial Park – Bob Johnson
o Raven Oaks Park – Park Chairperson
Root addressed the issue of his retirement as the Town Of Oregon Park Chairman. His first proposal was to appoint Town Board Supervisor Arlen Christensen as Interim Park Chairman until a Chairperson is found to fill the position since his duties already include the Parks Committee Representative and Anderson Park Representative. Town Chairman Ace said that he would talk with Christensen about filling that vacancy.
The second proposal Root suggested was to send out a Township newsletter explaining the need for a Park Chairperson. Included in the newsletter would be a brief history of the Park System and ongoing projects and future projects. Van Kampen suggested that it might be better to ease the new Chairperson in. For example it is rather difficult to be the Chair and person in charge at your very first meeting.
Special Joint Town Board and Park Committee Meeting
August 4, 2016
Duties assigned to present Park Committee Members is as follows….
· Bob Johnson – all signage issues and will obtain an Arborist estimate for late fall tree trimming.
· Jeff Nelson – oversee the construction and completion of the walk-in entrance at the west end.
· Josh Nordstrom – work with Lora Werner on the neighborhood proposal.
· Al Miller – work with all present and future Eagle Scout Projects requests.
· All – Continuation and completion of the proposed bike path. Steve Root is willing to act as the liaison between the Town, Anderson Park Friends and Dane County to guide the completion if desired by the Town of Oregon Board.
The next Park Committee Meeting will be held on September 12, 2016 at 6:30 pm. Root hopes to co-chair that meeting with Interim Park Chairman Arlen Christensen.
Town Board Chairman Wayne Ace thanked Park Chair Steve Root for all of his work since 1981 on the Parks. Many improvements have occurred during this time and that would not have been possible without his dedication to the Parks System. Ace would like to hold a recognition party at the Town Hall the night of the Budget Hearing in November.
Motion made by Van Kampen and seconded by Clark to adjourn the Special Joint Town Board and Park Committee Meeting at 7:35 pm. Motion carried.
Denise R. Arnold