Home : Park Committee > Park Committee Minutes

Selected Park Committee Minutes
Aug 25, 2008


Monday August 25, 2008 @ 6:30PM

Present: Steve Root, Janine Jensen, Mark Brylski, Bob Johnson, Raandi Schmidt
Also present: Dan Smeaton (Eagle Scout candidate), Glen Smeaton

The meeting was called to order by Steve Root.

The minutes from the previous meeting were read. Mark suggested a correction to the minutes. It seems that the pipe in Della Street Park has not been removed, so that line must be removed from the previous minutes. Motion made to approve as modified. Motion carried.

Dan Smeaton, a Boy Scout from Troop 50 made a presentation showing his possible Eagle Scout project. His proposal includes trail improvements in the Town Park. Steve has met with the scout and they have walked the proposed site. For time expediency, Steve signed off on the project, so that it could be sent to the Scout Council. Time is of the essence with this project due to the scout's age. The proposed project includes 200 feet of new trail connecting two separate existing trails. The Scout proposes placing landscape timbers along the trail for visibility and re-bars to hold the timbers in place. Dan informed the committee that he would need to get wood chips to be placed on the trail. He estimates the total cost of the project to be approximately $310. Steve added that the town could provide wood chips, and if there isn't sufficient amount in the township, the village of Oregon or the city of Madison have wood chips available. The township would simply have to truck the chips, and the town crew has already agreed to do this if needed. Dan estimates that there will be three weekends of work: one off-site to do some construction, and two on-site. This project, when completed, should discourage the use of current "off-trails". He hopes to begin the project on September 27th, if all of the approvals can be obtained. Bob moved to approve the project and Mark seconded the motion. Motion carried. Steve will make the presentation to the Town Board at its meeting on September 2nd.

Steve presented the proposal of hiring a tree-cutter and arborist and also a seal-coater for the Town Park. The Town Board approved the request and informed Steve that if a bid comes in under $25K, there doesn't need to be a formal bid process and they requested that if possible, the work be awarded locally. Steve hopes to get price quotes in the next week or so.

Mitch Auping, another Eagle Scout candidate reported to Steve that his project will include 4-6 benches made out of cedar, both best and better. He is waiting for final Council approval. Steve feels that the Council will look at both proposals at one time.

Steve met with Matt Weber before his final day of employment to discuss duties that needed to be accomplished before he finished. Unfortunately, several of the requests on the list were left unfinished. The Town crew did remove the barriers near the Town Park sign, and Matt was able to mow around the sign. However the weeds were not removed in Kennedy Park, nor were they around the posts in the Town Park. Steve's assessment of the hiring experiment for this past summer was that it was only partially successful. He would encourage the next employee to be better supervised and the general communications need to be improved. Steve has emphasized with the crew, that the Town Park needs to be kept in tip-top condition, at least through Labor Day weekend. Mark commented that there is a downed tree branch in the park, but he will attempt to remove it. Mark also suggested that the committee add to their list of possible Eagle Scout projects, the use of GPS to accurately determine the boundaries of the Town Park. The committee agreed.

Steve met with Kathy Esch as she was watering trees that were planted this spring. Her assessment is that the trees are doing fine and that some that appeared to have died earlier are making a comeback. She indicated an interest in doing another project, such as adding additional trees to Kennedy Park. Steve asked Mark to see if Della Park needs more trees and asked Raandi to check in Ravenoaks, and then the committee could talk with Kathy about the next project.

The next meeting will be September 22, 2008 @ 6:30pm.

Raandi moved to adjourn and Mark seconded the motion. Motion carried.

Respectfully submitted,

Janine Jensen

Archive View all from: 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004